Logo

Logo

Thursday, February 5, 2015

I spy...

I spy...a beautiful scene of grazing cattle in the sunset with blue skies.



But that's not all I spied tonight....


Coyote sign has been plentiful on the farm since we bought it. We've seen enough scat to make one think an entire pack has taken up residence on the farm. And it's quite possible a pack has. However, other than an abundance of scat and a few footprints, there's been no other confirmation. That is, until tonight. During the daily evening visit to the farm, I saw a sight not yet seen on the farm before tonight...a coyote sitting off in the field. As I walked around the cattle, the coyote observed my chatting to the heifers, but only tolerated a minute of my presence before taking off to the ridge. But that is the only clue I need to hunt for a den or sit and wait for another appearance. Coyote are common - we hear them frequently in our front yard at the house - so I wasn't surprised to finally see one on the farm. The only annoyance we've suffered thus far is being awoken in the middle of the night by a pack of yelping coyotes. And I'm ok with that. I'm even ok occasionally admiring one from afar if I have my camera handy. However, if they think they can make supper out of one of our calves when they are born, with no repercussions, they are wrong! I know where you live Mr. and Mrs. Wile E. Coyote and I've got your number. 



No comments:

Post a Comment